Friday, August 3, 2007

A Post for Helen

Helen, this one is for you! :) I've been reading your blogs, and set this one up a long time ago, but haven't gotten into the habit of posting regularly yet.

A few things have me thinking of you! I guess just because you are one of the most grounded women I know and admire, and also because of the textile art connection. So here are a few new things from me...

While we were visiting my family in Wisconsin, my 4 year old niece ("twin" to my G) was suddenly diagnosed with leukemia. My sister and the entire family are coping incredibly. It was hard to leave and continue on our vacation, and hard to be home, here, so far away from them. I also found myself struggling with a seed of bitterness toward God, having to do with the death of our daughter Ruth 6 years ago. With my niece's illness I found that bitterness blooming into an ugly flower. It took some time and prayer, and I kept thinking "I should write or call Helen!" and I kept praying for God to send me someone to counsel me. And in time I found my peace again. I think I'll keep that for another blog. I certainly need to write it down for myself, because I think it may be a recurring issue for me!

So where do textiles fit in??? Well, at home here and so far from my sister and niece, I struggled with a strong desire to DO something, anything, to help. A trip to see them is just out of the question right now, for various reasons. And as her hair started to thin it hit me - I could crochet a HAT! I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some super soft yarns, and looked up some patterns online. The first hat came together well, and a little modifying at the end gave it a good look. I'm afraid it may be a little small, but it is VERY soft, and it can be donated to the hospital (or to my nephew!) if it doesn't fit. I started the second hat with some very silky, slippery, hairy, yarn. I wanted to try to make a bucket hat out of it. It soon became the joke of the family as it looked more and more potholder/frisbee like with every row I added. One night I tried to pull it out in disgust, and the yarn is so hairy it knots on itself! Ugh! I couldn't even salvage the yarn. The next day I decided to try one more time and added some decreasing rows. It was a miraculous transformation. It's not a bucket hat; it's a hot pink, hairy, slinky, wig hat. :) I used the rest of the yarn to make a scarf/boa to match. My heart and spirits soared! It made my day to salvage and complete that project.

And my kids have been requesting hats of their own, so I bought some more yarns, trying different textures, and I'm having a LOT of fun. I just wanted to share with you.

1 comment:

momma helen said...

Um-- CALL ME ANY TIME!! You've been in my prayers so much this summer. Now I know what I've been praying for.

I'm so happy you found something to "do" to help your niece and your family. I'm sure that her diagnosis brought back so many issues around Ruth.

Your willingness to talk about Ruth has been a help to me and to others you've never even met. Keep talking about the stuff that's come up.

I'll have your niece in my prayers. I hope you'll keep us updated on her as you continue to blog.

(How about a picture of the hat and boa? Or your next creation!)