Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"We're going to _______"

Communication is always an issue in the hospital. I have examples from yesterday of good and bad communication, as well as a no communication example.

Good communication
I asked for a nutrition consult, as I had planned with David's nutritionist at his last appointment with her. We're watching his weight gain, because it would be hard to learn to walk if he was wider than he was tall. She checked his records and got his weight and called me to suggest decreasing the amount of formula he gets each day. We discussed it on the phone. She brought me up a written feeding plan. We made some changes so it would fit our feeding and meeds routine at home. She submitted it to David's team of doctors and we were good to go. I knew what was happening, and even had input to the extent that it was needed. Yay!

Bad communication
The neurology team was very concerned with how David's EEG looked. They explained that they wanted to increase his seizure meeds, and they were so concerned that they wanted to do it immediately, through his IV. He seemed fine to me, but I was ok with their plan. Except they never did it. No IV meeds were ordered. No explanation offered. Just nothing. Then hours later, an order to do the increase of his daily meeds they'd discussed. That was a whole lot of "it's scary!" followed by nothing.

No communication
David's nurse walked in yesterday afternoon. She'd just gotten an order for a new med for David, a one time dose, ordered by David's rickets team. Really? That one was enough out of line that I got an apology this morning from the doctors involved.

All is quiet here. David is still sleeping. I expect a lot of that today, due to the increase in seizure meeds.

No comments: