Wednesday, September 15, 2010

4 Days to Go (Really) - Feeling thankful

Here's a random picture of David - playing with his shadow - to add some color to today's post.


Now, let me correct myself by saying that NOW there 4 days to go.  Yesterday's should have been 5 to go.  My brain is running at hyperspeed and I've been skipping ahead a day all week!


Today was David's last day of preschool before the hospital stay.  I've emptied out his backpack and I'm filling it with stuff for the hospital stay now.  I did some last minute running to Target and I'm feeling set now - other than finishing the packing for me and David - and I'm feeling REALLY thankful today. 


My mom and my aunt are driving in my direction as I type.  They'll be here tomorrow, and I'm lucky enough to have a relaxing few days enjoying their company here before the hospital stay.  Their trip was planned long ago, and they have to leave on Monday, but their visit has perfect timing for me!


I just sent an email to Tony's mom.  Tony's parents, Gil & Betty will be arriving here on Monday in time to pick up the older kids from school.  I don't even have words for how thankful I am that they'll be here to take care of and give extra attention to Zeke, Hassani, and Gladys.  This hospital stay would have a whole 'nother feel to it without their help.  We are so lucky!


We've also got our kid-whisperer, Michael.  He's a junior in high school and phenomenal with kids in general, and Hassani in particular.  More than anyone else in the family, including David, Hassani gets very stressed out at changes in routine.  Michael comes and does homework with her, distracts her, and pays attention to her.   This means that Tony, Gil, and Betty can save their patience for bedtime and other challenges.  Hooray for Michael!


We've got Kathie and Team David.  Long ago Kathie volunteered to coordinate a group of volunteers from our church who would come and visit David in the afternoons.  I think of them as Team David, though we sometimes call them David's Grandmas (and Grandpa!).  They come visit with David while I make a quick run home each afternoon.  Kathie's got them all lined up, including a turn for herself.  I love that I know he's not alone.  And I appreciate their time.  And I appreciate that I didn't have to coordinate them.  It's incredible.  They even spend some time talking with me.  I'm a huge talker, so that makes my day.
 So, in the middle of my hyper mind packing things up so I'm ready to relax with Mom and Connie tomorrow, I'm really, really thankful for the whole crew of family and friends who will be coming together to make this hospital stay a lot easier.

No comments: