Monday, September 13, 2010

A Planned Hospital Stay

I don’t think we’ve ever had a planned hospital stay before.  There was an overnight after a port placement once, but that’s all I recall.  So, it’s new and welcome ground to be able to plan ahead.  It’s amazing to see all the supports we’ve developed fall into place again after almost a year since his last hospital stay.

First, getting prepared feels almost luxurious!  Usually my packing time is under five minutes then go.  I’ve had a couple weeks to make lists and I’m starting to pack things up now.  I’ll be coming home almost every day, so even if I forgot something, no big deal, but it’s been kind of fun trying to think of everything he’ll need or want – and me, too.  I’ve loaded a couple new games on the iPad – for me and for him – as well as a couple new digital books on my book reader in case I end up with some down time.  See, luxury!

Second, our support people have had time to plan, too.  I already have a list of volunteer grandparent/visitors for the afternoons with David when I’m planning to make trips home to see the rest of the family.  Tony’s parents will be driving in on Monday when I’m heading to the hospital with David.  They’ll be here before the older kids get out of school.  Michael, a high schooler who works really well with Hassani is going to come and help her do homework.

Third, there’s no scramble to notify people and change appointments.  There were only a couple things scheduled for the week that have already been rescheduled or we’ve figured out how to deal with.

Finally, it’s nice to be able to reassure our older kids that David is not feeling badly.  He’s fine, not in pain or sick, and he’ll probably have a good stay in the hospital.  We were able to prepare them, too, rather than explaining one morning why mom and David were gone.  Hopefully this will turn out to be a good thing for them.

So, I’m doing the planning thing I like to do, getting everyone ready – and looking forward to some days with my mom and my aunt visiting before the hospital stay.  What a difference!

No comments: