Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The up and down day

It's been an up and down day. David was awake this morning and I got to play with him and make him smile. That felt so good, but I was really bothered that he wasn't trying to touch his iPad or play with it. He also sometimes just stared at nothing and I couldn't get his attention. I'm hoping he'll be better tomorrow, but playing with him today just brought home once more all of his losses.

The neurologists stopped by and said they hadn't had a chance to look and see how he was doing on the EEG yet. They said if the EEG continues to look good, we could discharge on Friday or Sunday. Something in that range.

David got a PICC line today, which is a stronger and better kind of IV. Call it a super IV if you will. This will be used for all his IV meds and lab work. When they were prepping for the PICC line insertion I finally reached my overload. You know that point where a couple really small things don't go your way, but they all add up to a lot of sobbing? I was the sobbing one.

The only problem with crying was I just couldn't stop. A nice nurse checked on me and someone called a chaplain, who showed me to a quiter room so I could just cry for a while and talk things out with her. Hospital chaplains are the best!

After the PICC line was put in, he was moved to a regular hospital room. Around 9pm he had a seizure, the non-ninja kind. They gave him some IV medication to stop it. So we have a lot of questions for the doctors tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jenn Dodson said...

Sounds like a rough day. Hang in there.

Stephany Newport said...

You just let yourself have a moment. It is OK. You need it. Was the chaplain's name Claudia? If so she is a friend of mine - and she is so special.