Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mid morning update

The PICU team did its rounds and they are deferring to the neuro team as to whether David should stay in the PICU or return to the regular part of the hospital.

They have ordered a PIC line for David instead of the regular ivs that have had to be replaced multiple times. That should be done this afternoon and will be a welcome relief. I think it was 6 separate sticks yesterday. It will be good to have a longer-lived IV access for labs and meds.

David seemed more alert this morning, but was still pretty spacey. He'd be looking at me or watching his iPad, and then would just stare into space ignoring me. This part is very hard. The neurologist told me that when he wakes up, that will be our new normal. I'm trying to be patient, but I worry, because of the staring, because he isn't even trying to lift his arm to the iPad. I am wondering if he's actually had more losses in the past week.

So I'm waiting for the daily neurology check in. It was at 4:30 yesterday. I don't know how fast they thought they might see the effects of the steroids. We'll see what they say. At least David's door faces the main hallway the doctors use. I'll be stalking the neuros!

1 comment:

Jen Dillavou said...

Thanks for all the updates, I check it several times throughout the day as I am thinking about him lots.

Jen Dillavou