Thursday, October 14, 2010

David Update


I thought I'd do a little update on David.  He's been home for about 3 weeks now.  They aren't requiring as many labs as I was afraid of, and they've only adjusted his medicine dose once.  Overall, I have to say he's doing well, though he has a little cold right now.
Still, despite overall good health, David hasn't returned to normal, and I miss him!  While in the hospital they changed his seizure medicine dose.  As expected, this led to some dizziness and loss of skills he'd already mastered.  We expected it would take a while for him to get everything back, but I'm frustrated at how long it's taking.  David has most of his fine motor skills back, but gross motor has been a big loss.  He rarely sits on his own and when he does he doesn't last long.  He used to crawl across the room, but now it's just a foot at a time, and probably just once each day.   He used to move around and explore a little - we were getting used to finding him in the kitchen or next to the hallway.  He does a lot of laying in the same spot now.  We're also finding him stuck on his stomach after he does try to roll or sit.  And he's sleeping quite a bit, too. 

This kind of thing is so frustrating.  What's causing it?  The new seizure med?  That's most likely, but there's also the new rickets med to consider.  And there's the cold.  It could be a factor.  So we wait.  We've decided to give him the full 4 weeks to adjust to the med.  So, if things aren't improving next week, we'll be trying to make an appointment to see the neuro.  It's one thing to do a med adjustment when I've seen him have seizures.  It feels a whole lot different when I thought he was fine at the old med level.

Still, even though I sometimes wonder how many faces he looks at me, we've been taking him out and he's having fun.  He's loving preschool, stroller rides, and even a ride in the bike trailer.





No comments: