Saturday, October 16, 2010

Days 2 & 3 - Blocks Cut, Old Quilt Patched

So, after I posted about Days 1 & 2, I actually did some more sewing and cutting and ended up with all my strip sets sewn together and cut into blocks.

Then, after cutting them out, I still wanted to quilt more.  But it was late, and I knew my next step involved laying the whole quilt out for a preview look and I wasn't ready to do that.  So I did a little quilt repair instead.

I started this quilt with my first sewing machine over 10 years ago.  I never did finish it.  I cut the blocks, or maybe just sewed the strip sets and stalled out.  So my mom finished it as a gift to me a couple years ago.  I love it!  Love, love, love this quilt!  Very special because of the team work between me and my mom, I think.  Anyway, it's seen a LOT of hard use.  It's a "floor quilt" at my house.  That means we use it as a throw rug in the living room.  David lives, plays, leaks milk (and other fluids) on this blanket.  It probably gets washed at least twice per week.  And it shows.  In fact, it had a couple holes on the top that I think were just spots the material plain wore out from all the washing!  So I asked my mom to bring me any scrap material she had left over from it.   I freehand cut some "squares" and sewed them on as patches.  Regrettably, I was too lazy to change thread from the orange I was using for the fall quilt.  I thought it would blend.  I was wrong. 

It's amazing how much the fabric has faded.  I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the wear at this point, and I'm tempted to retire it from hard use. But I love seeing it every day.   I'll probably just keep using and patching it.

Oh, and Day 3 - nothing on the quilt.  But the kids were off school and we fit in a trip for David's lab work, a book store trip, lunch with Dad, the zoo, buyinging pumpkins, a candy run, and a family movie night.  Perhaps the quilt will get a little more attention today, Day 4.

No comments: