Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 4

I got a few minutes to quilt today and mangaed to put together the first two rows.  Overall, it's really good.  I've got two issues, though. 
1.)  the blocks on my top row weren't exactly even.  The reds were a little bigger than the pieced blocks.  The second row was fine, so I'm guessing the pieced blocks on the top row are a little small.  I double seamed a few places on the top row, making the seam a little bigger than 1/4" in order to make them line up.  I'm going to think about this when I put in the next rows.

2.) I find myself wishing my red blocks were more solid red and less print.  I think it will be better when I get the whole thing together.  This is what happens when I change my pattern after buying my material.  The red print would make and AWESOME border for this quilt.  A little less awesome as a block.  I think the red wavy/near solid red material I'm going to use as a border would have made better blocks, but I didn't have enough of it, and wasn't willing to trek back to Lawrence to buy more.  So, we shall see.




While I was sewing today I stopped to take a couple pictures of one of my favorite features of my new sewing machine.  If you look at the silver foot on the machine, you can see a black edge on the right side.  This edge limits how far you can push the material past the edge of the foot, making a perfect 1/4" seam.  I used to use a post it note stuck to my machine.  This makes consistent seams so easy!

This picture shows my other favorite feature.  The top button pictured is the cut thread button.  That's right, my machine cuts the threads at the touch of a button.  It still gives me a little thrill every time I push it!  Many, many, many thanks to my mom for finding this machine and buying it for me for my birthday, Christmas, and occasions for years to come!  Mom, I think of you every time I use it, and I can't wait till we can sew together!


No comments: