Saturday, January 12, 2008

Our new computer desk - my latest project

T & I recently bought a new computer desk to replace our old one. (Our old one was a combination of his college computer desk and a hollowed out console tv cabinet for extra desk space.) Anyway, we actually managed to assemble it without problems, and in one night. I wasn't too fond of the open spaces, and it occured to me that I could use some shoebox sized boxes to make drawers. I had some extra fabric, and covering them would really make it look nice. Above you can see an in progress shot. (Thanks to Amazon for some of the perfectly sized boxes! And thanks to my grandma who taught me you can never save too many boxes! :) )


Here you can see a finished box. I used the material like wrapping paper. (I suppose I could have *used* wrapping paper, but I love this material my mom and I made chair covers out of.) I used packaging tape to tape the paper down.


Here's the finished product. I hope the desk always looks this clean!! If you look close you may notice a few details:

  1. In front of the monitor is a fabric covered shoe box lid where we keep our bills to be paid online.
  2. In that shoebox is a pencil with a flower taped to it. (This is even better seen in the before shot.) We've had these pencils for a while, but I may go buy new flowers and tape them to pens and stick them in a vase next to the monitor. :)
  3. On the wall next to the computer desk is a wall hanging made by my friend H - I have a link on the sidebar to her "NapArt" blog. She actually wrote an explanation of the wallhanging. It warms my heart, and I'm glad to find a place I'll see it every day.

I have some more pictures to take - of my mittens and some blankets I made for my niece and G. Z promptly asked for a blanket, too, so I'm crocheting one for him. I'll also post about his pj pants.

No comments: