Saturday, January 12, 2008

My kids are sneaky smart!


I took Z & G on my big grocery shopping run today. It was long and they were very good. By the time we were in line to check out, though, they were like two little tornados dancing around the cart. It wasn't hard to see disaster in the future, and after hissing at them to stand still a couple times, I took a deep breath and called on my higher level parenting skills.
"Z, G, why don't you go pick out a Twix for me, and then a candy bar for the two of you to share."
I thought that was clear, and I knew that it would take them a while to decide, so I figured they'd be entertained. G came back first with a Hershey bar. "We picked this one for me." "Does Z like that one, too?" "No, he's getting his own." I explain again about the sharing. Z comes back with a Twix for me (I grab it) and a Junior mints. "Does your sister like these?" "No, they're for me!" I explain about the sharing again. Finally, they come back together, each holding a Junior mints box. "No, guys, you have to share ONE, and hurry, because we're almost done here." They aren't gone long and come back to our lane, Z quickly dropping the candy on the conveyor. Just as the cashier is scanning it I see what they got - ONE KitKat - KING SIZE. Well... they certainly fulfilled the letter of the law...

No comments: