Sunday, February 3, 2008

Book Recommendation




I want to recommend a book I read this week. It is called One Small Boat, by Kathy Harrison. The author and her husband are foster parents in Massachusettes. This is the second book she's written about their experience doing foster care, and I really enjoyed it! I feel like this book, more than anything else I've encountered, really explains why T & I do foster care, what it's like for us, and why we keep wanting to do it. So, if you're interested, check your library and read away! It is a pretty quick read, and once I started I didn't want to put it down!
That recommendation given, T and I are considering starting to foster again. I can't say exactly why. It's just like the other times we've taken a break, and then just felt like it was time to jump in again. There will never be a perfect time for it. And I don't know if it will work out right now or not. I guess I'll be talking to our foster care worker in the next couple of weeks and discussing our family situation with her to see if we can make it work right now, or if we need to wait longer until J moves out. Who knows. In the mean time, I'll be praying for guidance!
I love to crochet, and I've enjoyed having so much time to crochet, read, surf the internet, and do *so* many things! I just want to do something that really *matters* even if that means I have to put the books and crochet away for a while! I think I can't ignore that ever louder voice in my heart! :) I'll let you know what happens!
PS - I am about half way through the rainbow afghan!!! :)

2 comments:

momma helen said...

So now that you've adopted some of the kids you've fostered, I wonder how that plays into the psychology of fostering? Because you've got biological kids and kids you've chosen to make your own, is it even harder on a foster kid knowing they're not going to be a permanent part of your family?

You're in my prayers!

C said...

I think that might be hard on a kid in foster care, but, usually, the kids just really want to go home to their OWN home, no matter where (or what conditions) they came from.

In our case, we've decided to limit it to kids 3 and under, so I'm guessing they won't have much of an understanding of foster care or adoption.

I do know when H was 5 she asked Z&G who *their* first mom was. She couldn't understand that I *was* their first mom. She'd just assumed they came to the family in the same way she had. :)

Thank you for the prayers!