Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday Day Quilting

This morning after dropping D off at preschool I went straight to the fabric store and bought sewing machine needles, black thread and some batting. Then I came home and did this:


First border around pieced front - tiny red strip.

Then I put on the 2nd and final border for the top. That's when I measured the top and realized it's an inch bigger than the batting I bought. By then I'd already emailed my mom about the batting and had almost talked myself into returning it anyway, so now I'll return it for sure. This time the batting will be bigger and NOT fusible.

After finishing the front I moved on to the back. I had a big chunk of red fabric. I trimmed off pieces to made a binding strip for it. (Let's hope I measured correctly...) and then I was left with a piece about as big as the pieced part of the front. I have 3 sets of strips to sew around that red chunk to make the back. The first strip is silver. I got that one finished just before I had to leave to go get kids from school.



This picture is the back laying centered on top of the top. This would have been my first choice of backing, but I'm out of black material and don't want to buy more. Actually, my true first choice would have been to just use one piece of material for the back, but I don't want to have to buy more, so I'm piecing strips. I think this part is pretty fun and it's going fast. I've got two more strip/rounds on the back and then on to batting and binding and tying/quilting.

No comments: