Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Extended Stay

So it looks like an extended stay. Unless we can get D's meds changed to oral medication rather than IV. We may know that answer by tomorrow. If he has to stay in for 7-14 days of antibiotic treatment we're trying to see if he could be moved to the hospital closer to our house.
After that, though, they are talking about a month off of IV meds of any kind, including calcium. That will be a welcome break.
It's so hard to hear them even talk about putting in a central line. They can't say exactly what is causing the infections, but they can say that he'll move slowly but surely downhill without his calcium treatments. So, even if they can't give us a source of the infections... we may have to put another port in! I wish I had some guidance. I feel like Tony and I are the only ones saying, "Wait, Stop, Think".
It's like when I play euchre with really good players who count cards, and they reach some point in the game in just throw their cards in, because they know how the last trick or two will go. I always make them play it out so I understand. I feel like I'm having to speak up the doctors and say, wait, I can't see all your cards, explain to me...

No comments: