Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Emotional Milestones

As parents, we read about developmental milestones and watch when our babies reach them. Good parents even make notes in a baby book about when their child did certain things. Great parents do that for their younger children, too, not just their oldest! (Hey, at least I'm a good parent!)
As foster parents we recognize emotional milestones. Cuddling has been one for us. It's pretty remarkable how much I took for granted Z&G's cuddling abilities, and their willingness to fall asleep in our arms. I don't think I really savored that as much as I should have, or realized how much of a sign of trust it was. Though, I'm greatful they had no reason to ever not trust us!


These pictures of us with H were taken in May of 2007. That's about 2 1/2 YEARS after she joined our family. They were the first times she fell asleep in our arms. 31 months before she was able to really cuddle and totally relax. When I look at these pictures, I can't remember what I did to get sunburned, but I remember exactly how I felt holding her relaxed body. I remember that I cried, and I remember that I MADE T get the camera to take a picture, even though my legs were asleep.

Our foster son D, is a pretty special guy, and he's fallen asleep in our arms from the beginning, but he wasn't a real big cuddler. He would fall asleep more sprawled across our laps than cuddled in. But a couple weeks ago it happened. I picked him up out of his carseat while he was sleeping and lifted him to my shoulder. Normally he stiffens up and arches his back, looking around to see where he is, pushing out with his arms to keep from getting too close. This time he collapsed bonelessly onto my shoulder and drooled on me. :) I cried. And I stopped everything and cuddled him. Who would have thought drool was so special? Now he does it almost every time I pick him up. For a minute if he's sleepy, for just a second if he's awake. I can't describe what happens in my heart. Sometimes it still makes me cry. But I think you're allowed to do that at emotional milestones!

No comments: