Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's like taking your car to the mechanic



I can remember a time shortly after T and I were married when my car was having problems. I described to T what was going on. We even traded cars for several days. But the problem never happened when he was in the car. And soon it felt like *I* was the one with the problem. And now I'm feeling like that with D!!!

On Sunday I took him to the ER with a problem with his IV port. They saw the problem there, but needed us to come back Monday for an x-ray exam. When we got to x-ray the next day... you got it, everything was fine. So they sent us on our merry way. And today, Tuesday, problems again. 2:10pm I called the doctor's office. Ugh. D's nurse wasn't in. Talked to a sub. She wants us downtown asap. No way can I take the other 3 kids downtown. So I found a sitter, took all three kids to pick her up while D's nurse got him ready to go. Brought the sitter home (I love N so much!) Got D loaded up and headed downtown. I was there by 4pm - including the 45 minute drive. I called them on the way and the nurse was disappointed at how long it was taking me. Again. Ugh. I felt like I'd run a marathon, but "the doctor really wanted you here by 3:30". I bit my tongue, but I really wanted to let her know what *I* really wanted.

Among other things, I really wanted them to do the x-ray test the minute I got there. Instead we chilled in the waiting room and were finally taken back, weighed, measured, etc and then the vascular access team (IV/port experts) were called to take a look. Wow! The problem really was there, just like I said. But, oh no, radiology is closed. So I'll need to come back tomorrow so they can do the x-ray exam again! I'm betting he'll be fine again tomorrow...

At least I have enough notice to pack a bag with snacks and a good book to read while I wait. Because if there's anything else I'm sure of, it's that they'll have me rush into the hospital and then have me wait. On the bright side, if I was the one at home with the other kids my book would be on the shelf... :)

No comments: