Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hospitals Suck Even More!

So at 6pm today I got a call from a doctor (who I've never met - I can just imagine the "team" meeting, and then the lowest doctor on the totem pole being assigned to call me, because I'd been so intent on being informed earlier today!) She introduced herslef, and then told me that D was going to have surgery tomorrow afternoon. I asked her what she meant by afternoon... 1pm? 3pm? The answer... 12pm or later. (Ah!! Well that clears that up! Whew, so glad I asked!) Even after such an enlightening answer as that, I went ahead and asked another question... Who would be performing the surgery? The answer... one of the surgery residents or doctors. Wow. Again, so glad I asked!

Shortly after I talked to the doctor, I spoke on the phone with nurse on D's floor. She'd just recieved orders to stop his food tonight in order to have him ready for surgery at 8am. Hmmm. That's... interesting.

I asked her some questions and discovered what is likely going on. They don't have a scheduled opening or assigned doctor, but since D is an inpatient they will get him ready, and whoever runs ahead of schedule will just do D's surgery in their spare time. Nice.


So, sometime tomorrow, at or after 8am or 12pm, D will have an operation, performed by someone with operating priveledges at the hospital. And we got 14 hours notice to rearrange our schedule to be there with him.

And I'll get back to you, but I'm predicting a 5pm surgery. UGH.

No comments: